View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Question To rush or not to rush?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to GC - lurking for a few days, but I do have a question I was hoping you guys could help me out with....it's a little complicated but I'd love input.

I'm a student at a small college and will be a sophomore in the fall. I originally went through recruitment for Fall 08 and chose a local sorority that I ended up hating - none of the girls were at all what they seemed during rush and they slowly began hazing us, I dropped out after a few weeks because it was just so much drama, and they were later suspended by the campus for hazing. Well, I had planned on just not doing Greek life, but I met some girls in XYZ sorority, and we clicked it off, and next thing I knew, I was pledging for Spring 09. I LOVED IT....but unfortunately, due to some poor choices on my part first semester, my GPA didn't meet the requirements for me to continue pledging. Because I accepted their bid, and it is good for one year, I have the option of going through either Fall 09 or Spring 10 - if I choose to/if my grades are up.

Ok, this is where it gets complicated though....I'm not exactly thrilled with where I'm going to school and thinking of transferring after next year. So I'm not sure if it's worth it (even though I loved XYZ sorority) to pledge and join, when I could be gone only a few semesters later. I want the full experience of Greek life, but I'm worried no one will want to offer a transfer student (depending on how my credits go, I'd either be a sophomore or junior) at my new school a bid, or if I'd meet a new sorority like XYZ.

I know it's still weeks away, but I'm stressing about it already. Regardless of what I choose, I feel like I'll hopefully still remain close with my friends in XYZ - but in a way, I want the sisterhood aspect of it.

Any thoughts/opinions? Like I said, I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section or I said anything wrong