View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelhibiscus View Post
Hi, I'm just wondering. Is it a good idea to get rec letters for informal recruitment? My school has events in spring where each group schedules it's own week or so, not all the sororities recruit together in spring. I should mention I'm not from the south so I'm not sure if recs are 'required' at my school so to speak.

Thanks.
Recs are always a good idea, but I wouldn't go overboard (meaning I wouldn't have multiple recs for the same house).

One tip: write a HAND-WRITTEN thank you note to the person who wrote you a rec. This habit has gone by the wayside and I appreciate a hand-written note versus a quick email or even worse, a text. If anyone takes the time to write a rec, which does take time, the least I think someone can do is take the time to write a note. And making it personalized - not a general, generic-sounding thank you - means even more.

Call me old-fashioned (went to college in late 70's), but I see even the most wonderful young people who've not learned this habit, including my nephews and nieces. What do their parents say when I give gifts? "Oh, they told you thank you for the gift, that should be enough." Ugh.

Good manners never go out of style!