View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 5 – Sisterhood Round – AKA the game changer, where things get messy, the day of all the tears.
This day the maximum number of houses possible is 7. Each house performs a short skit and the rest of the time you are just talking with someone.
I got my schedule and saw
Lady Jags
Senior Elite
WCSS

Let me preface this with I am NOT a crier, but I also don’t function well when I’m sleep deprived – and our meetings each day were at 7:15 am 15 minutes from our dorm. Not that anyone sleeps well in their first few days in a new place… add in stress about recruitment… then 7 am meetings… I was far from well rested.

It was a shock, to say the least. I went from 10 houses to 3, after I felt like I actually had real connections with the girls I had talked to. And I only had one house that I had put in my top 7. I held it together when I first got my schedule, but then I called my mom and cried. My sister had a great recruitment till pref day, so she had already dealt with a hurt child once – needless to say as a non-greek, she doesn’t like recruitment! Luckily she only has boys left so she’s done now. I tried to hold myself together on the phone with her because I know she's not a fan of recruitment anyway. Then I called my best friend. Naturally, recruitment was going perfectly for her and she had gotten her top 11 for philanthropy and now her top 7 for sisterhood round. That obviously didn't help and made me feel even worse. There were more tears. Then my Pi Chi came and sat down with me after several others walked past me looking very concerned for my well being. It was my Pi Chi who I really became a mess with. It was kind of a meltdown. It wasn't that I was unhappy to return to any of the chapters on my schedule, it was that I was afraid that the only chapter I had back that I was wanting to return to was only inviting me because of my sister. Also I felt like houses I had real connections with didn’t want me, but mostly it was fear of only being invited back because of my sister. Somewhere in the logical area of my mind I knew they wouldn’t invite me back if they didn’t want me back, but when you feel like nobody else wanted you logic kind of goes out the window and emotions take over. Let me tell you: MY PI CHI IS AN ABSOLUTE ANGEL. I ADORE HER. She comforted me and assured me that they were inviting me for ME. She honestly got me through that day. I went back to my dorm (luckily I had a break for the first party) and fixed my face and put on a smile, a brave face, and attempted a positive attitude for my first party.
Lady Jags – Their skit was cute. I don’t remember the first girl I talked to, but the second girl I really clicked with. She was good friends with a friend of mine who had been a part of this chapter and then transferred. We talked about her a little. She asked me some really good questions. I know church is a no-no topic, but it somehow came up and it was really refreshing to talk about faith in college a little bit because it’s something that’s really important to me. I really loved talking to her and could see us being friends if I ended up here. I could begin to see myself in this house, and honestly enjoyed my time here!
Senior Elite – I was double rushed (me and another PNM talking to one active) in this house, which was the first time it had happened the whole week. I liked the girl I was talking to but the double rushing was a little awkward, because I wanted to get my word in but didn’t want to seem like I was taking over the conversation, which was a balancing act. I liked the other PNM I was with and the active I talked to, but I think the active had more in common with the other girl than with me.

I had a long break here so I napped and ate.

WCSS – THE GAME CHANGER. When I went into this house, the same girl who picked me up during open house round picked me up at the door. When she asked me how I was doing, I felt like she honestly cared about my answer and I didn’t have to lie and say that it’s “great”. Her bump group was the same, so I saw all familiar faces this day – which was really nice on a day I was so shaken up. The only way to describe the feeling I had here was “I felt so loved.” Their skit was HILARIOUS. Like people were leaving the house from the party before us and telling us how funny it was, and it totally lived up to it. By far the funniest skit I saw – it was seriously amazing. (I’m sad that skits won’t be part of sisterhood day in the future, because it gives you a good glimpse of the sense of humor a house has). I knew that this was where I needed to be. I’ll never know (nor do I want to) if my sister mentioned to one of her friends that I was having a rough day and that affected who I was paired with, but I know that this was the day that I realized they cared about me and I belonged and was sure that it wasn’t just because of my sister. After a tough day and feeling very fragile, the love I felt in WCSS really turned it around and made me feel confident again.

My angel Pi Chi texted me throughout the day to check in on me, and offered to meet up and talk to me before I preffed if I needed to (I didn't). I only had three houses, so I didn’t have to rank any this day. Preffing really didn’t matter but I had to do it anyways. I of course put all three in my top.