Thread: Kappa key story
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I don't know about this organization either. I'll be interested to see what others with more knowledge of Greek history have to say. Theta was formed Jan 27, 1870 as a Greek lettered fraternity for women.

The ADPi web site doesn't say anything of this Alpha Delta organization. Adelphean Society did not change the name of the organization to Greek letters until 1905 and even then, it was Alpha Delta Phi.

From the ADPi web site:

1836: Wesleyan Female College was founded as Georgia Female College in Macon, Georgia, as the first college in the world to grant degrees to women.

1851: Alpha Delta Pi was founded by Eugenia Tucker on May 15th as The Adelphean Society, making it the first secret society for women.

1852: The Philomathean Society (later Phi Mu) was founded on March 4th at Wesleyan Female College.

1905: The Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi and became a national organization. Beta Chapter was established at Salem College in Winston-Salem.
I don't think Alpha Delta is suppose to be the same as ADPi as it states in the article that Alpha Delta was founded at Monmouth College (ADPi was founded at Wesleyan College).

Last edited by Mevara; 05-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.