View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Preference:

Denmark
Sweden

Finland and I had both learned a valuable lesson in letting go, I did not have them, they did not have me, and I was completely at peace and happy with this.

Denmark:
I loved the preference ceremony at Denmark, it was interesting, the sisters answered questions and knew a lot about the chapter’s history and Denmark’s national history. I also realized that the Danish sisters kept things going, I was raised by my Scandinavian family and so I have a tendency to not use contractions and I have a literal sense of humor and a flat voice, they just kept talking and let me talk and never stopped to ask me to clarify my words. It made me feel confident in myself and so I was able to fully relax.

Sweden:
The conversations were funny and great as usual, but I did not feel a connection under the humor. The Swedish girls were lovely and funny and nice but they felt like friends rather than sisters. The sister that I talked to also seemed exhausted and I understood that feeling of exhaustion on a spiritual level. I had a nice time but I left Sweden with the kind of tiredness you only have when you are in a place where you are not supposed to be.

When it came down to rankings, I had to choose. I love children, Denmark and Sweden both support children with their philanthropies, but I didn’t see myself excelling and working as well with Sweden. As much as I love literacy, I did a lot of volunteering in high school and now that I was in college, choosing Sweden would not advance my career or help me to figure out what I wanted to do. Denmark had a niche that I could easily fill and their philanthropy involved children and the court of law, a group that I was interested in securing an internship with, and I felt like to be completely at peace with spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours volunteering my time, I needed to choose a philanthropy in a field that I would work in and one that could help advance me in life.

So I ranked Denmark before Sweden, made supper following a microwaved honey mustard pomegranate glazed salmon recipe, and went out to listen to the jibber jabber in the common room. The noise was that we needed another sorority on sorority row, the girls wanted to see Alpha Phi, Tri Delta, or Chi Omega present on campus for a spot on sorority row. Obviously this would not happen until there was an obvious need, so my salmon and I stayed quiet. Finland was a highly ranked sorority with Sweden following, Norway had been thrown off the popularity charts and Denmark was apparently so far down that they were not visible but I could have cared less, I had found my happiness and now I had to wait and see if fates would align.