View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigh. Let's try this again. Typed it out a few days ago but it disappeared when I went to post.

Apparently I bought this book some time ago and it automatically uploaded to my Kindle when it was released last week. Read the whole thing in a day. A light read. Mostly what you'd expect.

Chapter on hazing/alcohol (incident with the Ivy League kid who was kidnapped), chapter on rape, chapter on Alabama (this was insightful). Also covered racism and some deaths. Hate to say it, but it's become the meat and potatoes of any book on Greek Life these days. Then he goes into the past, found its of SAE and such, and then the future. The section on the "future" is kind of nice- he devotes an entire chapter to the story of a chapter and its adviser, and it is one of the most touching stories of brotherhood I've ever read, anywhere. I was almost in tears. He definetly redeemed himself there. He talked about Brad Cohen and how pledging was eliminated, and relates some statistics since the change.

The usual stereotypes are presented, but the interviews with actual brothers present SAE in a fair light. (Actives, not former brothers). The chapter on Alabama was full of well-spoken young men who seemed amenable to pledging a black man, should the opportunity arise. Maybe they talk a good game, IDK, but I found myself believing them.

The chapter on rape is the biggest problem I had with the book. NONE of the people involved are SAEs, or even students at the university! Clearly this is a RM problem for the chapter (I will give them a pass that one was the DJ). But it doesn't convince me that these brothers are rapists. It was an unfortunate thing that happened. A DJ assaulting someone could happen at a football party, a graduation party, etc.

I'm glad that he didn't give a lot of press time to that windbag Andrew Lohse, who is only mentioned in passing.

Overall, besides the brotherhood story, nothing new here. We all know RM issues happen, historically white fraternities had exclusion rules during their history, hazing deaths unfortunately happen. Same old story.