View Single Post
Old 03-29-2004, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
Two things: 1, USC is University of South Carolina, and most people know that if any of us from the south say USC, it means Carolina. (Especially since it clearly says that she's from Columbia, SC)
True, but some posters don't list where they are currently. And, some have probably even moved from California to Carolina.

Journalists use this rule: The first time, use the proper name of the institution and then use the letters afterward.

Here's something I've posted before, but does make the point, I think.

My wife and I live in Colorado and both graduated from O.U. Our son is a sophomore at O.U. Our daughter graduated from O.U. after attending U.N.C. for two years.

Translated:

My wife and I live in Colorado, but graduated from Ohio University. Our son is a sophomore at the University of Oklahoma. Our daughter graduated from Ohio University after spending two years at the University of Northern Colorado.

How could you have know that by looking at the fact that I live in Aurora, CO?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.