View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
The problem with the shift is the ability to float financially. Housing contracts are typically committed in October of Freshman year for off campus housing Sophomore year. If rushing is deferred to Sophomore year, housing would potentially have to be made up of Juniors. There would be a required transition for members to transition to this new mind set. The incumbent sophomores would have to stay in the house for 2 years to let the system catch up. If this does not happen, and the house does not have time to recruit heavy for a sophomore class, the numbers won't work for a house to financially make it.

As for sororities, the same applies. Typically at least 90% pledge freshman year and live in sophomore year, moving off campus Jr year. If they can't pledge until Sophomore year, they won't be able to live in until Jr year. It creates a housing crisis for a few years which may make or break some chapters. Housing off campus is much more affordable. If they live off campus sophomore year and enjoy thousands of dollars reduction, it will be hard for parents to justify them moving back "on campus" to pay more into the sorority suites.
Actually, sororities live on campus in dorms in South Halls. Each sorority has a floor and a suite. From what I know, recruitment isn't as sophomore heavy as it used to be when I was at PSU but recruitment isn't like other schools. You can and will probably have a successful rush as a sophomore/junior. Given how most chapters at PSU have 150+ sisters and the average floor holds ~50 women in the rooms, the sororities won't have a problem.

The fraternities, depends on what they and their alumni corps do. I feel like from talking to other alumni, the changes will be grumbled about but in the end, will be successful.