View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I disagree on the china thing. Most of your other stuff, the everyday dishes, your sheets, appliances, etc. are going to be replaced within 15 years. You have your china for life, pass it on to your kids, etc. It's ok if you don't use it in the first couple years of marriage because you'll probably be using it 40 years later when everything else you received has been sold in a garage sale.
People keep FiestaWare forever!

I think it's expected that everyday dishes, linens, and appliances will be changed out, especially since color trends change and what the "in" appliance to have this decade (Hi, KitchenAid stand mixer!) may not be what our parents wanted in their kitchens.

But here's the thing--unless you entertain formally very often, which most middle class families just don't do anymore--you'll rarely need fine china, let alone 12 place settings worth. And, if you're in the life position where you are hosting large formal dinners, chances are you inherited at least one set of china. Also, some fine china is pretty freaking trendy too. What happens if you finally get ready to have a dinner party, open up your china cabinet, and you hate that Kate Spade china pattern you loved back in 2006?

I'm lucky in that my friends are awesome and register for items that I know they're going to use right away.