View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Michigan is pretty much like Louisiana as far as taking a ticket and waiting. Near closing time, they start pulling together queues for different things. If you're ONLY renewing your driver's license, or ONLY license plate renewal, etc. You get your original ID with the corner cut off and void stamped on it and they staple a paper to it. This last birthday, I flew to Baltimore the day after I was at the DMV. The TSA in Detroit were cool with this makeshift ID but the TSA in Baltimore was eyeballing me like I was doing something sketchy. She said "Are you going home with this? or on your way out to somewhere?" I said I was going home and she said "Good, I don't know if everybody would let you through with this". Oy.

The one saving grace in Michigan is that if you wait all that time and then have to get additional documents, they will give you a pink tag that allows you to go to the front of the line when you return. They are also starting a thing at some offices where you can get in line from your phone on an app and show up when it's almost your turn.

We can do our license tabs by a machine or by mail, if we plan ahead and/or if the machine is working. It all stinks though.

Washington DC was not much better. My daughter and I had to wait in line two full times because they needed something else from her. Very annoying. But they asked what you were there for and you got a different ticket depending on what you were there for. They were different colors and started with different letters. It made it difficult to know when it was going to be your turn.