View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
What’s the issue? It IS of interest when and how chapters have a shift like this. I don’t understand the problem.
I don't understand the problem either. I do see that the focus has been on my question to panhelrose about her motivation in posting the link to the college newspaper article. She was an active at GWU, and yes, to me it came across snarky because she posted a link to a biased newspaper article, with no other commentary. Hence I asked her -she chose to not respond. That's her prerogative. And people think my question was snarky. *shrug*

If you read the first part of my response to her, you'll see where I'm coming from. This isn't about Chi O for me (I don't have any connection to Chi O whatsoever other than panhellenically), it's about all of us. It's a more general response that I have whenever I see posts about chapter business. I've spent way too much time in the trenches, on advisory boards, house corp boards, etc, to assume that this was a simple matter. If you have ever had to go through a charter review, you'd understand. It's painful. It's exhausting. BUT if it is done correctly it can turn a chapter around. Then again, unless it's your ox being gored - if you catch my drift. Yeah.

It may be of interest to some, I will concede that point. Not to me. i don't take pleasure in others' difficulties. Consider that this was obviously a chapter-wide issue, not a matter of one or a few members misbehaving (and do I need to cite examples? Probably not, If you've been here long enough you can come up with some, I'm sure. Including some very recent examples). National organizations don't just flip a switch and do membership review. It comes at the culmination of a very long series of interventions.

Charter/membership review is a major hot button for me. Again go back and read my numbered points. It takes the focus off my question to panhelrose (who I am sure is a lovely person, and not ill-intentioned). She kicked the beehive on this one and the queen bee came out stinging. Again, I stand by what I wrote.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity