View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
There's a difference between a small greek system and a stagnant greek system. When greek systems across the country are adding or WERE adding new chapters ALL THE TIME, Bloomsburg couldn't add even 5 more members to their chapters. The system itself has been marred by a campus who doesn't know how to work with greeks, nor do they really even care to. The ORGANIZATIONS aren't mediocre - the STAFF that oversees it has been terrible. A new greek life person started a couple of weeks ago. It'll be interesting to see if it has any effect.

I'll use another example - Kutztown University. Their system was growing, while their campus population was shrinking. The students didn't want big chapters, so they set their total at 60. When they all hit 60, they added a new group. So while chapter size may remain the same, the system grows through expansion. Bloomsburg has NEITHER. It's mediocrity at its finest. If that's offensive to you, my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I have a problem with considering a small greek system (or group) to be mediocrity. I don't know the campus, of course, but I do know that my personality avoids groups of hundreds. For real, at one time my chapter was down to 12 or so. My pledge class was 9, but initiated 6. What it taught us was to play to each others' strengths, to learn what was vital and what was not, to let go of the not-vital, to budget tightly (housing was university-owned, so not the chapter's responsibility), and to partner with other organizations. It isn't typical sorority life; but it worked for us and our system, and was not in the least a mediocre experience.