View Single Post
Old 09-29-2003, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Thoughts/Views On Sorority Recruitment Processes

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl
Is it possible for the first two rounds to be one where, like normal, all the girls are required to attend every house for like 25 mins. Just to see all the options and giving every house a chance to show what they can do. Then the next rounds the girl can go back to where THEY want to go, still letting the houses select from these girls. Also make it less formal. Still have the cheering and skits but make it more relaxed. I know that at U of Mich in talking to many friends from other houses we all felt that recruitment was a shallow show. And that no house truely presents themselves because you're so worried about putting on the perfect show.

I don't have much time to write b/c I have to get ready for school..... but NPC had some sort of pilot program similar to this. Everyone had to go to every house the first round, but then after that the girls got to pick where they wanted to go. Houses had 2 hour parties, some overlapped. A girl could *theoretically* go where she pleased. The only cut was pref invites.

THIS DID NOT WORK. The girls would go to the bigger houses and stay there. Those houses would either get totally overwhelmed or be loving it. Many would make it extremelly uncomfortable for a rushee to get up and leave (they had to leave on their own volition, at least before the party was over). So even if they did want to see some of the less popular houses, they were "detained" at some of the bigger houses.

This is the kind of rush I went through (we were the NPC guinea pig)- and it sucked! Fire1977 can probably tell you more about this system, she was there for it more than I was, as shortly after I joined they switched it back to formal. I can speak firsthand about how hard it was to leave some of the houses, and how many girls didn't give other houses a certain look. IMO it was much worse that formal rush. With formal rush they know earlier on what their chances are at certain houses. With the system I rushed in, they fell in love with the 3 Super Sororities, then were crushed when they didn't get a pref invite, and didn't get pref invites anywhere else b/c they didn't bother to visit anywhere else.
Since we've switched back to formal rush,(and more active COBing but that's another thread), house numbers have begun to even out and there are more houses that are strong.

I know this isn't totally on-point with your post, but forgive me, it's early and I gotta get to school!