View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I've been thinking about this since you first posted about it. I agree that Alpha Phi, especially the newer chapters, now has a specific image their chapters project. I think part of this growth model came out of a desire to colonize at large Greek schools where there was no prior Alpha Phi presence, and that the best way to immediately become a strong chapter and not "that" chapter was to take women who perhaps have questionable reputations, lower grades or fewer connections. I know this is what they did at Clemson, and by all accounts the chapter is very successful at this model.

I think of a chapter at a school I worked at, which shall for now remain nameless, that has a very different reputation than the national organization does, and it was frustrating to see them struggle in recruitment because the national organization valued the pretty, social image and this chapter was not interested in that. It was repeatedly trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This chapter really shone in informal recruitment and didn't make quota, but I could tell that they were expected to make quota even if it meant taking women they didn't want to be sisters. I wonder if an over-focus on recruitment numbers is partially to blame. I would rather have a chapter full of women who live my sorority's creed every day and never meet quota or total than a chapter of women who don't care about what Alpha Delta Pi means.