View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_made032 View Post
Hi all,

So I'll be attending an out-of-state college next year, which means I won't have any connections to women inside the sorority houses right now. I'm wondering in your honest opinion if this could hurt me or any thing I could do to help the situation?? I heard a lot of times joining a sorority is all about who you know inside the house? If I don't know anyone could this hurt my chances of receiving a bid?
You have no idea which SORORITIES require a letter of recommendation to receive a bid. You want to cover all your bases? GET THE RECS.

Next, there will be hundreds and hundreds of out of state girls going through rush. Of course, OOS women receive bids, but they must be prepared. We have no idea where you are going to school, so you really need to do a lot of reading to understand how this works.

Recs are very rarely written by current members, so connections with current members don't even matter! Recs are written by alumnae of the sororities. You need to find sorority alumnae who know you to ask them for a letter of recommendation. Please don't even say "But I don't know any women who are in a sorority." Yes, you do. Your mother does. You sit beside them in church or synagogue. They are your teachers and neighbors. ASK!