View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
APO is NOT "I couldn't get into a social GLO so I'll join here."
APO is NOT "My social GLO sucks/I don't like the members/I don't fit in so I'll join here."

APO is an organization you join primarily because you want to do service, in an environment that also encourages brotherhood with those you do service with. The brotherhood comes about because of the service. I'm not sure what you mean by "they seem very social", but if they are having mixers and such with sororities, that's not cool at all.

Sorry if I sound like a bitch, but this is something that really bugs me and it happens ALL the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Like I said, I don't mean to come off as mean or discouraging, just that I've seen a lot of people who only joined 1) to put it on the resume 2) to meet people, and didn't give a crap about the service component and did everything to avoid it.
This is one area APO really needs to work on; they need to do a better job at, as I put it, weeding out all non-hackers that do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved frat. When we market APO as the all-inclusive frat, we get nothing but dead weight, resume padders, and letter-wearers. We need to start saying to folk "you aren't APO material. Go somewhere else."

Being more discriminatory on who we extend bids to or which pledges are allow to be initiated will show the campus that we mean business. I think all too often we are afraid to do that, because we don't want to have to defend our position. Well, if you document your prospectives/pledges activities and behavior, they won't have a leg to stand on and you'll be justified in your actions.

This is what happens when we pander to prospectives/pledges and wallow in political correctness to the public at large.

If we don't want to appear as a Greek lettered Circle K, we need to let some people know that they must earn the letters.