Thread: Dance Moms
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
In twenty years of dance, fourteen of those competitive, I've never seen a competition on a gymnasium floor. The only time I have ever danced on a gym floor was for a few random school events that I performed at. It's actually terrifying if you are used to stage/studio floors, and there generally is not a lot of time to warm up/practice on the floor.

My studio did not work this way, but I know there are some studios where you pay a flat (albeit ridiculously expensive) fee for the year, this could be what they are working with. If I've paid $30,000+ and I was told I was going to get x number of competitions out of it, I would absolutely want them to find another competition.

The contract thing is pretty normal for competitive studios. IIRC, it only affects those who actually compete. In Irish dance, you HAVE to wait 6 months to a year to start competing (by An Coimisiún rules). So that really isn't anything unique. A lot of it has to do with people trying to steal choreography.

Then I assume that b and c had to do with our area at the time and it's location (which was very small urban and not at all close to a large urban area).

I do know that her friends who were in studio, while they obviously preferred not to compete on gym floors - did it and all of the area HS dance teams did it for every competition (of course I realize that HS dance teams are not the same thing as studio dance teams).

I understand the reason for the contract - it makes sense to me in that regard, but I would assume, as we discovered with similar coaching contracts, they are not very enforceable. Lawyer friend (who was a parent at our gymnastics club where they commonly had coaches sign these contracts) said that the court costs were such and the likehood of winning so small that they were pretty pointless in the long run.

Last edited by AXOmom; 02-18-2012 at 03:58 PM.