View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually think social media can be more detrimental than helpful when it comes to sorority recruitment. There's more of an opportunity for incorrect information to be passed around at a much quicker pace.

It used to be that women, especially in more competitive recruitment situations, mainly learned the ins and outs of such a system from those who were closest to them; older women who had been through the same process before. Potential new members are now asking their questions on open internet forums, and they don't truly know who's responding back to them.

And now there are so many more women who are attending school out of state and falling into these SEC/competitive environments having no one in their family or circle of friends who have experienced such a thing before. And because there is such a "need" to attend college these days, there are still many women starting school who are the first ones in their family to have done so. It's hard enough navigating the start of college with little direction from your family, let alone jumping into sorority recruitment at the same time.

I think many times the internet is too heavily relied on - although it can sometimes be out of necessity - and it can get women who have little to no knowledge of their specific school's recruitment process into trouble.

@~/~~~~