View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstatebabe View Post
ETA: Just read some related posts so sorry if y'all don't want to respond. :-) Words of encouragement are always accepted though!

I just went through formal recruitment and came away with upsetting results.

I only listed one chapter on my pref card (out of two) and ended up not getting a bid. I'm not going to lie...I'm pretty bitter about the whole process. I feel like formal recruitment is so superficial and I don't get why I wasn't chosen. I feel like I'm the type of person who could fit into any of the "popular" houses because I'm nice and have the same interests as many of the other ladies (fashion, communications, cheerleading, and dance were big ones I had in common with the women I talked to).

I'm a sophomore at a moderately competitive school for Greek life (7 chapters). I'm tentatively planning on going through informal recruitment this winter.

Do you ladies have any advice for me? I've been uncharacteristically self-conscious about everything since recruitment.
SIP'ing ("suiciding" one chapter) is very risky indeed. Many women who do it fully understand (and are comfortable with) the possibility of not being greek. You made it through to preference with two houses, one of which you liked, so I wouldn't call your rush unsuccessful. The bid matching process just didn't work out as you had hoped. It happens. As others have said, your sophomore status might have hurt you to some degree.

If you go through informal, do it with a VERY open mind. Sometimes a house that you feel iffy about is actually a very good match. I would forget about the notion of popularity and just focus on whether or not you can be friends with these women. Sure, women can talk for hours about nail polish colors, fashion, etc., but try to have more in-depth, meaningful conversations with your rushers. These are the women who would be there for you should you suffer a serious misfortune in college, a bad breakup, etc. Give them a chance to play that supportive role for you...and you for them.

Having said that...sometimes there just isn't a match. Most college kids manage to have fun whether inside or outside of a greek organization.

Good luck to you.