View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trèves View Post
Did your friends start a whole new fraternity or are they working together with a American fraternity?
Are there any books or websites, that could help me to start a new group?
I dont know where to start.
Trèves, I don't know of any books about how to start a fraternity. You may find some info in threads here, however.

I guess the questions I would ask are these:
  • What is it about North American-style fraternities that appeals to you?
  • What specific aspects of North American-style fraternities are you drawn to that you think are lacking in groups that already exist at your university or in Germany/Europe?
  • How have you learned about North American-style fraternities? First-hand experience? Friends? Books? Movies and TV? Internet research? In other words, how much do you really know about North American-style fraternities?
I certainly haven't made a study of it, but my impression is that efforts to establish North American-style fraternities in Europe have not, as a general rule, been particularly successful in the long-term. As best I can tell, this is partially because university life and culture in Europe is so different from university life and culture in North America, where Greek-letter organizations developed and have thrived, and partially because Greek-letter organizations are, in many ways, distinctly American/North American institutions. Distance from governing councils, HQs and other chapters has also been an issue, though the internet ameliorates that challenge somewhat.

Given that, I wonder if you might not be more successful identifying the aspects of North American-style fraternities you are drawn to and adapting them to a more European-style context rather than trying to "import" a GLO. This may be an opportunity to create something completely new—something that blends the strengths of European-style student societies with the strengths of North American-style fraternities.

Just a thought. Good luck!