View Single Post
Old 10-04-2001, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

everyone Thank you

It's been very interesting to see all the different new member programs, however even 8 weeks as prescribed as NPC seems too short for me.

I find it interesting that some consider an extend pledge program as a subtle form of Hazing. That I dont' get, perhaps sorority pledge programs really are more along of the lines of being judged for membership due to the hectic and IMHO all together too short rush. As opposed to open rush that frats do, but that's an entirely different issue I have.

I feel a semester is a decent timeframe, the stretching out of history would actually be more of a help, b/c then less material is being covered, so time that should be spent studying for classes isn't used for far less important chapter lore test. Perhaps b/c our pledge program is so multifaceted--developing brotherhood (not only among pledge class but also nearly all the actives except for the ones who live out), intellect and good study habits, making pledges become involved in campus groups, helping the community, enjoying physical activities, and also developing pride in the house--we need the greater length, also it's helpful, and comforting to know, that for this first semester when the transition is taking place, that we as pledges have the full support system of the house in place to help. Also it may be because we don't take in new members in the spring (it's kind of an anomaly on this campus--I know of no one who has signed w/ a house after about the second week of September doing open rush (girls))

Okay well again thanks to everyone who posted.