View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD_Cutie View Post
I've only been in my chapter a year, and while I love it I have definitely noticed that we have the smallest sorority on campus. This year during recruitment we only got 8 girls while the other groups got around 15-20 girls. From what I've been told it has always been like this for our chapter, and the fact that we are the only group without our own house on campus make recruiting more difficult. Now we are going into open recruitment and I just need advice on what to do. So many girls have told us we were their second choice, but I want to help make my chapter one where most girls see us as their first choice. How do you successfully recruit new girls, or how do you make sure you're the first choice and not the second?
Some quick ideas:

1) Build a names list. Have every one of your sisters create a list of every woman they know on campus that isn't Greek. Combine the lists. Here are all of your potential members you should be aiming for.

2) Recruit in small groups rather than large parties. For each potential member, have two sisters hang out with her. Go to the movies, or grab lunch, or get coffee, or study together. Keep it simple (and cheaper than a big, fancy party!)

3) Get involved. Encourage each of your sisters to join at least one other organization on campus. Put together an intramural team. Attend meet-and-greet type events - I'm sure there are dozens on your campus each semester.

4) Do something nice for other students. During the week of finals, my chapter would hand out candy - Smarties and Dum-Dums. Get it? This creates an easy way to strike up a conversation with people.

5) Have mixers with organizations that aren't fraternities. Sports teams. Clubs. If you can plan one with a group that has both men AND women, there's your in!

P.S. - in case you didn't notice, in #4, I mentioned that my chapter handed out candy during finals week. As in, at the end of the semester. In other words, recruitment should be happening all year, not just at the beginning of each semester.

@~/~~~~