View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I think that "no jello wrestling" is a good policy, but what's the line of thinking behind the others? Just that it's not Panhellenic to compete?
That's part of it, but it's really coming from a feminist viewpoint about male dominance of the campus social scene and that there is an issue with men getting women to compete against each other -- in events that may be seen as demeaning.

From the February issue of the student newspaper:

"Last fall, all six W&L sororities joined together in deciding not to participate in Phi Delta Theta’s Jell-o wrestling philanthropy event. In years past, members of Phi Delt have asked women from each sorority to participate, and paired them up against one another to wrestle in a pit of Jell-o in front of bleachers of student spectators.

Similarly, Panhellenic has had discussions about boycotting Sigma Chi’s Derby Days event in which the women compete and are judged based on who cooks the best meal for the fraternity members."

- See more at: http://ringtumphiwlu.com/1105/news/s....FgDRodXP.dpuf

I'm actually interested in discussing some of the ideas raised in the larger article. It will get buried in this thread, and there are some definite historical errors in the article's first paragraph but I was alternately amused and intrigued when I read some of the ideas expressed by the Panhellenic officers, and the student life staff responses.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 04-06-2015 at 11:53 AM.