Thread: "Forced" prefs?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2003, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessHeather
Quote:
Originally posted by sigmagrrl
Wait I thought she could be offered one, but if she accepts and then "drops", she is bound for one calendar year....
Sigmagrrl that is how it works at my school.
However my school does things a little different then how a lot of these bigger schools have mentioned it.

Here's how it works at my small school (8800 people/ 2 National Sororities)

We have our first 3 nights of recruitment were PNMs must attend both parties. (No cuts before pref)
Then each sorority invites PNMs to their pref.
She may either be invited to one party, two parties, or no parties
At that time she picks up her pref invite she then decides (based on her invites) where she will be going later that night. So if she is invited to both she can choose to only go to one if she wants.
Then afterwards this is where I'm sure you all are like, yikes scary to only have two sororities on campus: she can single intentionally bid and just write down one, or she can put both down. Either A,B or B,A or she can put neither group.

Our problem on our campus is most PNMs end up not wanting her second choice. Let's say she put A first but got B. if she declines B then she can't participate in A's COB and has an open bid to B for one calendar year.
We also get a lot of suicides here since there are only two. but then that means if A gets quota but hasn't filled total they are notified of who just wrote down A and are able to COB them in two weeks. (B may also COB them, but that never happens..)

Sorry if its confusing but I like the small school system.
But like I said we get lots of suicides! (ssssh don't tell but, I was one along with my whole new member class except for maybe two of us.
)

oh yea edited to add, if someone suicides and only puts A but B has them on their bid list, our Panhellenic Advisor will call them that night and ask if they would like to go with B. This does happen sometimes and since its done over the phone that night no one ever knows except the girl who gets the phone call. She can also still refuse B's bid if she wants. No one is ever required to take a Bid at my school...well except if she signs B on her card and gets a bid to B then she has the calendar rule on her.)

Last edited by PrincessHeather; 08-30-2003 at 03:45 PM.