Thread: "Forced" prefs?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2002, 09:32 PM

Re: "Forced" prefs?

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
....In other words, if she gets 5 invitations and there will be 5 parties in the next round, she must attend all, even if she doesn't want to go to XYZ's party.....My question: does this extend all the way to pref parties? Can a PNM be forced to attend a pref party for a sorority that she didn't even want to attend earlier events for? And if she suicides the sorority she really wanted because she never planned to attend XYZ's events anyway, can she be penalized?
Carnation, you ask "Can a PNM be forced to attend a pref party for a sorority that she didn't even want to attend earlier events for?". My personal experience is YES YES YES.

This happened to me, because at my school, the PNMs (i.e. rushees) were not allowed to cut groups. The groups on the other hand could cut PNMs.
So I went to one PREF (A) that I wanted and one that I DID NOT (B). (You can have a maximum of 2 pref parties.).

When I filled out my Bid Card, I put down A, C, D and E. I left off B. (Sidebar: You could fill in 4 choices, even though you only went to a max of 2 Pref Parties. ) I handed in my Bid Card and one of the Rho Chi's said, "Did you put down your 2 parties from tonight?" I said, "No, I put down my Dinner (Group A) and 3 others. My Dessert group is not on there".
She then took my Bid Card, tossed it and said that I must write down 4 groups, of which my Dinner (A) AND Dessert (B) must be on there. (I didn't want to suicide, but I definitely did not want Group B, which is why I had put down A, C, D and E).

So, she strong-armed me into putting B on my Bid Card.
Anyhow, because B was on my Bid Card, that is where I was bid.
In tears, I reluctantly accepted the bid, and then dropped out within 2 days. I was never so much as "ribbon pledged".....nothing.

Thankfully, it worked out for me 11 years later (I'm a happy alumna initiate), but I am sad that I was denied the collegiate experience of being in a group that I would have be thrilled to be a member of.

Anyhow....that's my story. And thanks to 33girl for putting up the link to my dreadful rush experience.
The link didn't seem to work, but I have found it for you all.
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...&threadid=2285

and also:
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...threadid=14204

I hope that no one has to go through what I did. It was absolutely devastating.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 06-25-2002 at 09:39 PM.