View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholdren View Post
Hi-
There was some great advice given already concerning university requirements, that's the first step. You'll then need to decide if there is an organization already in existence that has similar ideals and maybe expand with them. If not become a local sorority. It's a little complicated to send in a short email. I'm a National officer for a small, National sorority and we are currently working on expansion so I have some practical advice and tips. I'd love to discuss this with you further. Email me at jholdren@fhai.com

Good luck,
Jennifer
This is the best advise given thus far. Starting a fraternal organization is all about the intersection of two things... #1 - the need in the marketplace (your university) of another women's organization and #2 - a vision and mission to align yourselves with the values and standards that a particular organization stands for.

Many sororities & fraternities have similar principles from which they were founded and others are very different. I am a Sigma Nu alumnus. SN was founded by Civil War veterans as a protest movement to hazing at VMI. That is very unique and different and has unique appeal for some students on some campuses.

I would take time to reflect upon that which you hold dear. What are your values. What are your ideals. What is your vision & mission? Now research all of the PanHellenic organizations and see which three line up most with that which you hope to accomplish as a new group. Don't take this lightly. You may be starting something that will exist decades from now and even beyond your life on this earth. If you start something, start it with purpose and vision.