View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

No, it's not too personal. Like I said in the other thread about researching on your own and not asking questions over the internet!!

I had never met a member of Sigma Gamma Rho during the time that I was an undergraduate student. However, I did know many AKAs and Deltas. I did not know much about Sigma Gamma Rho until after I graduated. I RESEARCHED on my own!! It was only because I had the "audacity", "guts", "intelligence" or a combination or so that I went to several events (via research and contact) and got to know the members.

It wasn't a hard thing to do and then again it was hard. When I was an undergrad I was in another state my first two years of college and there were no NPHC organizations there at the time. When I transferred back home to DC that is when I met NPHC members. Still though that was mid 80's. When I did become thoroughly acquainted with the sororities it was time to graduate. I got a job. I got married. I had babies. I still had an interest in black sororities because I continuously read and saw what contributions they were making to the community around me. I did not become a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority until I was 36 years old and that was through a graduate chapter.

I say it was hard because I didn't have the benefit of being a student and having classes and activities with members. I had to come to service and social events and assert myself around a group of women that I did not know and who did not know me. I must have made a good impression -- WITHOUT ASKING QUESTIONS OF MEMBERS THROUGH THE INTERNET!!

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)