Thread: Rebel Mom
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
My experience with variable quota is that it somewhat limits the bigger chapters continuing to get bigger while allowing smaller chapters (whether WRCs or new chapters) a few recruitments to catch up with the larger chapters. Retention does often determine whether or not it is successful...so that is on the chapter.
When used on selected campuses with the numbers to back it up, I like it.
I agree with this. The way I see it, it's not a permanent solution-once chapter sizes are evened out, the campus can return to a single-quota system. But as long as every chapter is being given gigantic pledge classes, the smaller groups don't have the chance to catch up to the larger ones in size.

Especially at a campus like Ole Miss where sophomores are traditionally not successful in recruitment, I think women are more likely to stick it out in a big pledge class that might not be their first choice than to drop and try to re-rush. At a school like Clemson, for example, where sophomores rushing is common, variable quota might not work as well for a chapter where retention is already low.