Thread: D&R Random
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen1aur 1963 View Post
Thanks for that, Cheerful, and I feel what you're saying, but this is easy to say when you yourself haven't been in that situation, unless you have. I don't know, maybe you have. I'm not blaming dude, but that shit does have a long-term affect on folks, believe it or not.
True, I can’t say that I’ve been in your shoes. And no, I don’t know what it’s like to grow up without both parents. I mean, I had a very close relationship with my dad. When he got sick, I had to sit out of school for awhile, hoping he would get better, plus I wanted to be there for my mom. He never did get better. He passed away, and when that happened, I can’t even describe what that did to me, and how I felt for so long. I became very negative, I didn’t want to go back to school, I really didn’t want to do anything. I just felt like what’s the point if he’s not here to see me succeed?

Long story short, I got myself together, eventually finished college, and went on and graduated from vet school to become a vet. As for the rest of my life, well, I rebuilt it one brick at a time. As I sorted through the rubble that resulted from that, I found some things that needed to be thrown away and others worthy of keeping. I just felt that I needed to let him go in order to grow and move on. Of course, the pain is always going to be there, and there isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about him, but what I’m saying to you is that when everything stays the same, nothing changes. That may sound redundant to you, but it really isn’t. I mean, it’s just that in order to take life to the next level, some things have to be removed because they’re only going to impede your progress. No matter where you are, or what you think you lack, there is something to be thankful for right now.

I mean, (based on your posts) you have a college degree, an honest career and I’m sure you have a lot more to be grateful for. It’s just that being grateful takes stock of all you do have without considering what you don’t. Right now, honestly, based on your posts, you have it better than most, even though you may not feel you do.

I’m sorry about your situation, but you have to let that go. You’re not going to go anywhere if you keep dwelling on him, and as a result, you’re not going to be able to grow into a better person. It’s just that when you stop growing, you start stagnating. It’s only when you are willing to get rid of the old that the opportunity for new things presents itself. It’s like a woman holding on to a bad man because she believes something is better than nothing, ya know what I mean? I just believe that many of us rob ourselves of the opportunity to experience God’s best for our lives when we dwell on past negative issues. I know it’s going to take time, but you’ve got to stop dwelling on your dad. What he did was wrong, but you can’t change that. However, you can change your attitude. At least try. I’ll read a Harry Potter book if you do.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 02-20-2012 at 07:30 PM.