View Single Post
Old 08-18-2002, 07:15 PM
UMgirl

Quote:
Originally posted by James
For you girls on here from the large schools . . . Are you telling us that you don't know at least one Sister that has habits or shows regrettable behavior that if she had talked about during formal Rush would probably have gotten her cut?
Uh huh, not only do that, but I know a house full and a greek system full of them.
Point being... there would be no Greek system period cuz we all have bad habits or regrettable behavior, so we all would have been cut.
I see where you are coming from James and to a point I agree that probably the First Round could be considered shallow, but I wouldn't even say that, because of how fast it is. BUt its set up so that girls have the chance to look at ALL houses, instead of just looking at the "popular ones". They thought this would be the most efficent way to do it, otherwise you'd have girls out at houses for hours and days on end.
Also you have to remember that it isnt necessarily the whole house that cuts a girl, especially at the beginning. Girl A is talking to my sisters Suzy, Betty and Jane for 15-25 mins and she lets a quirk slip, and they cut her for it> However, if Girl A, had of been talking me and some sisters in my group, she might not have gotten cut. Maybe we would have founf that bad quirk or regrettable habit, not so bad and funny. It all depends on the person/group who you talk to. AT UM, until you get into the later rounds it's usually 3-5 sisters out of 100 or so, who vote whether you come back or not. Fair? Not always. And a majority of girls will never know the reason why they have been cut. but these are totally different issues from whats at hand. (Has feeling James might start thread about whether Sorority Rush is shallow and stuff )

Back to original programming....
Is the whole, you can't join a sorority or have to take alum status outdated and ludacris in this day and age? IMHO, YES! But its still here and I assume for some reason.
But I agree with 33girl. Don't hide it. Its better to be upfront. That way, you wont waste your time and effort into joining an org. that may not accept you. And as she said, going in not saying anythng and then letting it out, may cause uncomfort in the house for the mere fact that the info was withheld.
I still say go for it!