View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 1 – Open House - The actives kneel in front of the PNM’s to talk to them and it is very LOUD. Lindsey liked all the chapters, but her least favorites were The Outsiders and Ferris Beuller. The Outsiders are considered one of the top, if not THE top sorority by many, so I was proud of her for making up her own mind. She ranked those two at the bottom and the rest as her top six (order didn’t matter so they did alphabetical). Her mind at this point is very open. I think being from out of state helps with this. Lindsey’s roommate was supposed to go through recruitment too, but changed her mind. I’m so proud of my daughter for starting the process alone.

Day 2 – Off day for Lindsey. Just a Gamma Chi meeting.

Days 3 & 4 – Philanthropy - I thought I was going to die from curiosity because I didn’t hear from her until almost 7pm her time today. She had been invited back to 6 sororities, which was a full schedule. Other girls in her Gamma Chi group had 3, 4, 5, or 6 invitations. She was cut by Pretty in Pink and St. Elmo’s Fire. The weird thing was that she had two recs for every chapter (if everyone sent them in) except that she had four for St. Elmo’s Fire and got cut there anyway. She had four parties today and will have two tomorrow. She cried during one of the philanthropy videos because it reminded her of a family member. I insisted that crying was not a bad thing, but she said she felt like a “dork.”

The main thing that no one told Lindsey about recruitment was that is was actually FUN! In my efforts to be a good mom/coach, I probably inadvertantly sucked the fun out. Today I told her she should wear her hair down because most girls in the facebook pictures http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/University-of-Arkansas-Greek-Life/136698696356260 had their hair down. She said, “Mom, if they don’t pick me because my hair is up due to 100+ degree heat, then I don’t want in.” I’m kind of glad she doesn’t listen to me.