View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Not to mention, think about all the legwork and preparation the alumnae chapter in Atlanta has done - to just flush that because of something they had zero to do with enacting would be immensely hurtful to those sisters.

I mean, what’s going to be next? We can’t have a convention in a city where pot is legal? We can’t have a convention in a city where the Ten Commandments are on a plaque at City Hall? You are never going to make everyone happy in a national group. If they want to make a statement, there are far better ways to do it.
Well exactly. Look, I don't think this is going to change anything or that the location is going to move. I'll just throw it out there and say that some of the people I know who signed it and are largely outraged on social media are alumnae who aren't heavily involved in the organization - if they are at all - and that annoys me, to say the least. But there are others who do attend Convention and who are volunteers or advisors, and I can respect that they have a strong opinion on the matter.

I think the reason this particular issue gained traction and turned into a petition is because it directly affects women, we're a women's organization, it can be a very polarizing issue, and it's currently front and center on every national news station. I also think there's an inclination to suggest a move because more recently, other companies and organizations - with A LOT more money than an NPC sorority - have boycotted certain states over political issues. We don't have the means to simply say, "I'm taking my ball and going home."

Regardless, we're a diverse sisterhood with members who have different opinions and viewpoints, and I don't think it would make sense to move it.

I'm curious to see if the national organization addresses it or hopes it just "goes away" on its own.

@~/~~~~