View Single Post
Old 08-23-2002, 06:44 PM

I'm a little confused about quota additions. Please correct any missteps that I may make...

Let's say you have 3 sororities. 60 women attend preference parties. That means quota is 60 / 3 = 20.

Before recruitment started, sorority A had 75 sisters, B had 60, and C had 45.

Now let's say that sororities A and B each make quota, while sorority C only matches with 15 women. That means 5 women are bidless after "normal" bid matching. Let's assume that each of these 5 women listed A and B on her pref card, in some order - no intentional single preferences.

Sororities A and B are now allowed to accept quota additions. 5% of 20 is 1, so each sorority may bid 1 more PNM. One woman will be matched to B (since it's smaller), then one woman will be matched to A.

So, what determines which of the 5 goes to B, which goes to A, and which three go bidless? Does B get whichever of the 5 was ranked highest on B's second bid list, then A gets whichever of the 4 remaining women was ranked highest on their list?

Is it then possible that you could have a PNM who loved B but matched to A during "normal" bid matching, while a PNM who loved A got matched to B as a quota addition?

Should I maybe try to figure out something easier instead, like quantum physics??