View Single Post
Old 07-03-2001, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not really on the inside - I'm a 10 year volunteer with Kappa Sigma, and have served at 7 different chapters and their respective systems. I would never advocate breaking the rules - I am an advocate of working to change rules that create barriers to entry into GLO's and I think that things like "no contact" rules do that. I'm not a believer in legislating morality and values (dirty rush is a value break down in my book). I would argue that if a rushee is attracted to a group that bad mouths another with lies, and that rushee doesn't check the story out, then both get what they deserve - the rushee gets less than the full picture and probably makes a bad choice, and the dirty rushing chapter gets someone who takes rumor and makes it fact, which in my experience is the kind of member that causes BIG problems. I see more exceptions made in formal systems - primarily for "small" chapters than I do on "open" systems (does not mean without rules, just without rules that keep me from talking/interacting with a prospective member)

Not really passionate - just perplexed as to why, in a time of decreasing greek membership, we would make things harder on ourselves and our recruitment efforts.

I guess my concerns about associational freedoms won't have any traction until more host institutions begin eliminating greek systems.

Brad

Quote:
Originally posted by worriedsenior:
Brad, you seem very passionate about this issue. Since you are on the inside looking out, you may not be as sensitive as someone looking in. I was taught to NEVER break the rules. Of course I find the "loop holes", but I expect EVERYONE to follow established guideline. It burns me up when "exceptions" are made for this or that case. I saw it all the time in HS. I know the "That's life" response and indeed, it is, but it seems that in a situation like recruitment, people in our position would like to believe there are SOME regulatory guidelines in place to at least level the playing field. I guess it's the degree of infringements that would change. You are correct when you say that dirty rush exists, but I hope it is the exception, not the rule. If those rules were not in place, what then would be the exception?