Thread: what to do
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
Realistically, just about every active fraternity chapter out there could at some time or another be accused of this. I suspect the suspension (for whatever reason) did the most damage to your reputation. (Also, since the suspension was so short, I suspect that it was for something someone did that was very stupid.)

Many fraternities struggle financially. In that regard, you are not unique. Financially, it can be an advantage to not have a house - but there is no way to convince a chapter that doesn't have a house that is competing for members against one that does have a house. Age old problem. In your various posts, you indicate that your fraternity's biggest concern is its relationships with the sororities. I don't think I am wrong but, if you get down to it, I doubt if the sororities really care if you have a fraternity house. What you are selling to them is you - not some crappy fraternity house.

It is not hard to imagine a possible pitch to upperclassmen with good grades that (1) we are rebuilding and we need your help; (2) we do not haze and we have zero tolerance for hazing; and (3) we devote more of our dues money to social activities because we don't have the expense of a house.

Your chapter can only control what it does. It cannot control what other people think.
You have been more than helpful. The cause of original suspension was actually the fact that there was a lack of brotherhood and increase in dues which led to actives leaving and therefore losing the lease and getting into debt. Nationals kicked everyone out and paid the debt leaving opportunity to rebuild