View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrl23 View Post
I am a senior and for personal/academic reasons I will be transferring to a new school closer to my hometown (and living with my parents) for my 5th and final year.

The school I’m coming from is a large state university with a prominent greek system and the school I’m transferring to is a smaller college where greek life is not that large/prominent. My chapter is at this new school, however due to my age and financial situation, I will not be trying to affiliate and instead will take the status of alumna member.

This is where it gets complicated; I would like to reach out to the women of this chapter to let them know I’m on campus (so they’re not confused when they see a random girl wearing their letters) and that I would love to meet with some of them and offer help in any way that I can. Can anyone tell me of the proper etiquette to do this? Is it rude to say that I don’t wish to affiliate but would still like to be a little involved with the chapter/get to know some of the women? I’m not looking to be a part of the chapter, just have the level of involvement that any graduated alumna would have and because I’m still college aged I was hoping this would help me to make friends at my new school.

I’ve considered trying to affiliate, but I just don’t have the money for it. Even if the price is right, I live inconveniently far from campus and wouldn’t be able to commit the time that active membership would require. So I’m simply just seeking advice on how to go about this as to not step on any toes or unintentionally come off as rude for not wanting to affiliate.
I think that's wonderful!
I'd first try sending an e-mail to the president. Just tell her the situation. Does the chapter have a house? chapter room? Ask when would be a good time to come for an informal visit.
If you don't get a reply, try again later. I know some chapters are transitioning to new officers, so our message might get lost.
You have nothing to lose, and friendships to gain!