Thread: "Pref 101"
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

As I was thinking about what made me want ADPi and not Door #2, I realized that, for the most part, both pref parties were the same. What made ADPi stand out during Pref (keep in mind that I had already made up my mind):

1) There was a recent wedding picture of a sister, with several of the sisters in it, sitting on the table near me. The symbolism of sisterhood being a lifelong commitment was explained to me.

2) I was told to look around the room at the other pnms, as they could be in my pledge class.

3) I'm not a crier, and can spot phony tears a mile away. I was told, "I sincerely hope to see you here tomorrow night - but if not, let's keep in touch." Whether or not she meant it, that struck me as totally classy.

4) (They knew I was also rushing Kappa) A sister said, "So, I hear you plan to wear blue tomorrow!" The laughing really put me at ease!

5) After the ceremony, several sisters squeezed my hand, my shoulder, or arm - somehow touching me without being awkward. The other sorority I preffed hugged WAY too much, and practically sobbed. I literally had snot on my dress that I had to clean before the next pref party!

6) Every one was themselves, yet gave the ceremony the respect it was due.

Lastly, when it was my turn to rush the pnms, I remembered to be myself, to be serious when it was appropriate, and to set the pnms at ease when necessary. We have a song that we're not permitted to sing during recruitment, but was one of my favorites. As we were singing, sisters would start their favorite, and say, "Honey, sing your favorite!" I'd laugh & say, "I'm not allowed to - but I'll be singing it tomorrow night!" Pnms would beg to hear it, and I'd still refuse. One new member actually told me on bid night that the curiosity had been driving her crazy!

Hope that helps!
honeychile