View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Smile Sistahood (:

Okay, so this may not seem like much to you guys, but it meant the world to me.

I have CP. A very mild case, but it's still there and it still affects my life in ways I am too stubborn to admit. I'm the clutz of the century and sometimes walk with a noticable limp. Suffice it to say that I can't do much heavy lifting by myself because I don't have to eye-hand coordination or the balance.

I am a book junkie. I love to read books, but renting them from the library isn't enough for me, I like to own them. So, I have this enormous book collection and no where to put it once I moved into my new apartment. A few Saturdays ago I went to Re-store to see if I could find myself a bookshelf. Of course, I found myself a very tall, very lovely bookshelf and I immediately bought it. (It was only $20!) I was told that I had a week to come back and pick it up, but I drive a very tiny Saturn.

I immediately start calling people. Everyone I knew-Phi Sig bros, coworkers, friends, anyone that could help me move this bookshelf from the store and into my apartment. At around 12p I called Liane, one of the SAIs I'm closest with. She has to be to work at 4p, but says that she would be more than willing to help me move the bookshelf. I took my groceries home, picked her up at about 1p and off to the store we go. We spent some time shopping and once the time came, she helped load the bookshelf into my tiny car, tied it down tightly to the trunk and off we went.

We got to my apartment with just enough time to carry the bookshelf inside and then she had to leave for work. It really meant a lot to me that she was willing to give up her Saturday afternoon to help me. It gave me that true feeling of sisterhood because I hadn't talked to her much since summer started. I mean, I had seen her in the lab and talked to her, but we never really hung out because I was always working and she was in class. It just really touched my heart that she sacrificed her Saturday afternoon to help me move a bookshelf-a sister that I hadn't been able to spend much time with.

But, I guess, when it comes down to it, that's what real sisterhood is, huh. Helping out a sister, no matter who she is or how often you get to see her, but when she needs you, you are there.