View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmama View Post
Hi. I just went through recruitment at a school with 10 chapters. It is a public college, and I am an in-state student from a big feeder high school. I ended up going from having the max of 8 houses for round 2 to being dropped by every house except my dead last choice(who I'm pretty sure invites back almost everyone, at least for the first few rounds). When I got back my schedule that day for round 3 with only that house, it was devastating and I dropped out immediately. I know that we can never know what goes on behind the scenes, but I wanted to get some thoughts from others about what could have caused me to get dropped by all the chapters.
First off, I was a legacy for two chapters. One of them had a policy at my school that they invite back all legacies to at least the first invitational round, but they dropped me after round 1 anyways, which was super weird. For round 2, I thought I had some really good conversations in some of the houses and was feeling pretty confident by the end of the day. That's why I was so shocked when they all dropped me. I thought I had had great conversations and had presented myself well. This was philanthropy day, and I had asked questions and had told them all about my service work in high school. I just have no idea why they would have dropped me after all of this. My GPA is very high, I had recommendations for most chapters, was a legacy for 2, am in-state from a feeder school, and knew a lot of girls within about 6 the chapters. I even knew 10 girls in one of the houses but they dropped me after round 1. None of this makes sense to me, and even my Gamma Chi was as shocked as I was. Anyone have any thoughts?
Honestly, we'll never know and neither will you. Maybe they all liked you but liked other girls more. Maybe they just felt like cutting women with your first initial that day. The legacy chapter you were released from likely has a different legacy policy than you think it does.

Also, quite frankly, you had one chapter left and you chose not to return to it. You could have given sorority life a chance and chose not to. You don't know how many women that one chapter invites back or why, but we all know they thought you were worth getting to know better and you didn't extend them that same courtesy. I hope you enjoy getting involved in other activities on campus and keep an open mind towards opportunities that may present themselves to you in the future.