Thread: Badge Trends 2
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

You could also let people known to you to be members of that GLO (e.g., people you personally know, established GreekChatters, etc.), so that they can decide what they'd like to do with regards to the item. That way, you're not out of your own money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
Ok, I'm gonna start a new thead dealing with the subject starting to be discussed in the other thread so it doesn't get locked.

I'm gonna propose a scenerio and I want all you ladies and guys to answer this:

A person goes to an antique show, or walks into a pawn shop, antique shop, and see that one of the dealers is selling a pin from XYZ organization.

I wanna know what IS the right, and moral, and ethical thing to do in your eyes.

Knowing that this pin is from an organization that still exists, does the person,

A) walk on and either let someone else have it, or let it be melted down
B) buy this pin with their own money and donate it to the orgs HQ, knowing that group wouldn't pay the person back
C) buy the pin, and offer it to members of that org so that they can wear it or do with it as they see fit

Now, I know that some of you will want to say that there is an option D but I know that that option is the way of business people, like the Wilson Bros. Jewelery, or fratpin.com those are the ones who are "profiting" off of this.

There are dozens of posts in ither threads where ladies and guys want to have pins for their personal usage. I know of one or two orgs that sell old badges back to members but that is very unique and most others do not...

So, what is the right thing to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Option C should have options:

1. Do you offer it to the member for free and you absorb the cost?
2. Do you offer it to the member at the cost you paid so you're not out of pocket?
3. Do you offer it to the member for a profit (big or small)?
4. Do you trade it straight up with a member who has a pin from your organization?

It's way too broad an option to not have these sub-options.

Personally, if I had the money and it wasn't that expensive I would purchase it and offer it to any interested member at cost or trade (only if they happened to have a pin from my organization.) If no one was interested, I'd keep it until someone was. If that never happened and I kept it, I'd make sure it went either to a local chapter or HQ in the event of my demise.

That being said, I would only put out the money in the first place if the badge wasn't that expensive. I'd rather save my money for things from my own organization.