Thread: discrimination
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As are in the questions...
It is regarding a friend and what I found extremely odd is how fraternities and sororities are above the law. I would like to know the reasoning as to why that is.

Quote:
Everyone has already answered your questions adequately and, I think, rather politely considering your attitude. You're trying to pick fights. We had nothing to do with you/your friend being rejected. Your beef is not with us. Sorry if you don't like the answers provided.
if the answers weren't simple denial it was an acceptance that this is a normal behavior and that nothing can be done. for some reason these groups are above the law?

Quote:
Which is it - your friend has "been there a lot for me and for many people", which would suggest he has "many" friends, or "he doesn't have a lot of friends" ?
Why is it one or the other? yes he has helped a lot of people, done a lot, yet they in turn bully him after he helped him.

Quote:
If he in fact has social issues with other people then there is your answer; he may not have been given a bid because of social awkwardness or lack of social skills. Maybe. WE DON'T KNOW.
I have written several times and not sure why I continue to have to. But the fraternity written an actual letter not only being derogatory but their actions after he tried to join which included trying to get others to bully him.

Quote:
Just a thought, you stated he had learning disabilities that was the stated reason for his rejection. If he is taking remedial classes or classes that do not lead to a degree as a result of his disability, THAT could preclude his membership. The vast majority of GLOs require that you be registered in a "degree seeking course of study."
No receives extended time, note taker and use of notes on tests.

I have to again state this, the fraternity wrote a letter and stapled it to his door in the dorms. It read "we reject you, we do not want any motherf***ing retards in our frat. dont dare showing your face. you do we will kick the s*** out of you go f****ing die. go sit in your special ed classes"

are you sure it has nothing to do with the disability?

Quote:
learning disabilities would factor into a bid decision
people are never bully others? fraternities never bully?

I actually contacted someone within my law school about this, another student, about to graduate. they wrote:

Quote:
Their answers are profoundly ignorant and lacking in logic. I really hope that none of them are majoring in English or Law. A group can be exclusive but not discriminatory and discrimination is wrong.

Fraternity and sorority groups are all managed by a central organization that has to register itself with the IRS as a business or non-profit organization. Businesses that work across different states cannot discriminate; those that use any supplies from different states also cannot discriminate. Non profit organizations must not only adhere to the set rules for businesses but also adhere to rules set by the IRS for non profit organizations specifically. With the passage of the ADA in 1990 made those with disabilities a protected class.

Secondly, organizations that run all the fraternities and sororities do not want any negative attention given to their group so allowing any discrimination would not be tolerated or they would pull the charters.
Thirdly, if they written a letter, sent text messages referring to him with derogatory language in order to get other to bully and performed other actions then I would say he should contact the school, headquarters of the fraternity and a lawyer. While this hasn’t really been brought to trial before, idea that fraternities can discriminate is a joke.

Last edited by sammysammy225; 01-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.