Thread: New NPC groups
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2001, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I think a multi-cultural organization could thrive in the NPC. After all, there are 2 historically Jewish and 3 historically non-sectarian groups in the NPC. The non-sectarian groups were founded by women of varying backgrounds who felt their cultures were not adequately represented by the other sororities currently in existence.

About 2 years ago I had heard that one of the largest Latina groups had expressed an interest in joining the NPC. I don't know what progressed after that.

My personal opinion is that there could be issues with new groups' intake and new member processes conforming to the NPC unanimous agreements and that many groups would not want to accept these restrictions. For example:

* Although the group wouldn't have to participate in Formal Recruitment, the group would have to abide by the same recruitment rules for both formal and informal membership recruitment.

* Traditions such as pledge classes wearing like dress or uniforms, walking 'in line', speaking only to initiated members, etc. are considered as hazing by the NPC. I have a hard time believing that these 'traditions' would be relinquished - most likely these acts would go underground which would lead to a host of other problems.

I think there would be a place in the NPC for all groups, both large and small, and the NPC would be strengthened by their inclusion, and vice versa. Only time will tell if it will ever happen.

Barbara