View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

KnightWolf and AnotherKD -- thanks so much for your input! Yes, he is heading into a challenging major. He recently got back from visiting Georgia Southern and told me he got to talk to the computer science department chair -- who told him they aim to weed 'em out early! There is one class they have to take very early in the game that is exceptionally wicked -- he said the chair told him it's the one that separates the people who really want to pursue the major from those who aren't totally committed. Oh boy.

My husband was a computer science major -- it was quite a few years ago, but there were many, many hours spent in the computer lab and a lot of three nighters with no sleep. I love the term "cyber cave"! How appropriate! He was active in Greek life, though, and even served as chapter president senior year. So yes, it can be done, and as you both said, he would not trade it for anything. Last weekend, he served as a groomsman in a brother's wedding, as did several other brothers. Most had not seen each other in years, and yes, they were all gray around temples (or bald), but did they ever have a great time reuniting! Some of the best pictures the photographer took were of those men bringing the past and present together.

If I had to judge my son's time management skills a few years ago, it would have been scary. Now, though, I can honestly say there has been a lot of growth in that area! It's interesting to see kids start getting their wings that last year or so of h.s. He's carried a full load of classes, sports and other activities and made it work, but will have to decide how much he wants to take on as academic demands increase, and of course, college is a whole new ballgame.

He's very interested in recruitment, and we hope he feels like he can manage his major and fraternity membership. He and a friend recently went to a general info session Southern held at a hotel near our home -- there were reps from every facet of the school there, including Greek life. He really liked the Greeks he talked to and what they had to say about the system there. Registration for fall orientation opens this week, so I guess the ball is about to get rolling.

Thanks again!