View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Banned

Thanks. A lot of his generalities are not intended to apply across the board. I know that seeing stuff about our orgs can rub us the wrong way but that doesn't automatically negate all of the findings of this qualitative study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichat View Post
First two answers of his he make it seem as if gang rape and sexual assault is common place activity for fraternities.

Third answer, he insinuates that most fraternities have nude hazing rituals.
He was talking about incidents he had heard of and how it sparked his curiosity. There have been similar probings of uncommon and common fraternity practices on GC.

Quote:
Fifth answer, according to this guy, young men acting like young men are supposed to act all of a sudden becomes bad when they are in fraternities.
Gender (and race) dynamics operate in curious ways when you add the group dynamic. That's what he's getting at and that can also be found in the gender (and race) literature. For instance, many men who would get drunk and sexually assault a woman at the encouragement of their fraternity brothers wouldn't necessarily do so on their own accord.

For the men who this doesn't apply to, it doesn't apply. That doesn't change the application of the concepts.

Quote:
Sixth answer, white fraternities still to this day only allow white protestants into membership? And sex was the downfall of greeklife?

Basically it seems to me as if this guy is making it Gays v. NIC
The argument can be made that the NIC is largely focused on a particular form of masculinity just as it is still predominantly white male. I think the GC threads about "gays in GLOs" are basic examples of that.