Thread: Fake News
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's covered by the 1st Amendment. If people read a smidgen critically and questioned information from sources without quality credentials, this wouldn't be a problem. I don't blame the Russians for doing what is in their own interests. I blame Americans who are willful idiots who glom on to any information as true because it confirms their biases.

And then there are the jackasses who refer to the media elite as "fake news." Our major media sources have rules for reporting information. They require reporters to verify sources and provide evidence. There has been a massive effort to discredit our media elite which has people treating sources like Breitbart and Infowars as legitimate news sites.

The answer to all of this is education. A high quality public education system which teaches people to have a healthy skepticism and to approach controversial issues objectively. We need a system which helps people understand their own biases when evaluating information. Our citizens need to understand how to evaluate information for themselves. This problem is only going to get worse.
All of this.

And it truly amazes me how many people try to argue their point by sharing a meme. This is a way to ensure that I won't take you seriously. Discussions are fine. An outrageous picture with one or two lines of biased/false/exaggerated/flat out ridiculous text is not going to convince me that you're right and I'm wrong.

@~/~~~~