Thread: Badge Trends?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

At the University of Arizona, the new initiates are given the "standard" badge (below, left); the shape of the kite has remained unchanged since first designed by our four founders. I haven't noticed that the actives are ordering the more decorative badges (options for a larger size, yellow gold, white gold, pearls, diamonds (!), various other synthetic stones such as emeralds, rubies, turquoise, onyx, opal, aquamarine, on and on - but no topaz that I could find). I pasted a few pictures below, but there are so many other choices!

The actives are always very interested in my pearl badge, which I purchased after I was initiated. At that time we were not given a badge, but everyone in my pledge class purchased one, except for one member who inherited a badge from her grandmother (and that was GORGEOUS!). We did not wear chapter guards, for the most part; that seems to have been a regional item, and definitely I see lots of guards and dangles now.

Personally, I love the "white gold" option; to me, it resembles Sterling Silver. Living in the Southwest, I wear mainly silver jewelry and some day hope to have a white gold badge.

Occasionally a unique badge will surface on Ebay, such as the recent badge that was clearly custom made with opals. IMO that badge will find its way back into Theta hands, but that is a story for another day.

Left to right: Standard "plain" badge, pearl badge, alternating pearl and stone badge, stone badge. Just thought you good people would like an idea... the badges come in two sizes, small crown and large crown.