View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

An Edible Recruitment.

Recruitment was held on two consecutive weekends. The Saturday of the first weekend was Spirit Day, where we visited all nine of the chapters and learned a little about them. The Sunday was Philanthropy Day, where we could be invited back to a maximum of seven houses to do a craft and learn about their philanthropy.

In the middle of the two weekends, there was a five day break for classes, Monday to Friday, and then recruitment resumed, with the second Saturday being Sisterhood Day, the second Sunday being Pref Day, and the Monday, Labor Day, being Bid Day.

Before recruitment had started, I did a lot of research on it and the sororities themselves. In the broad sense, in that I looked up recruitment in general and talked to those who had gone through recruitment, as opposed to stalking the chapters (although I did do a bit of that too…). I was prepared for the outcome of not having a perfect recruitment and possibly not even joining a house at all, and I genuinely just wanted to go through the process and meet some awesome people, and if I realized that a sorority wasn’t for me, then there was no harm in trying.

I named the chapters in this story after foods that I was craving during recruitment, but was too nervous to eat!

The chapters were:
Waffles
Pancakes
Cheesecake
Ice Cream
Peanut Brittle
Rocky Road
Chocolate Chips
Donuts
Brownie
As well as Apple Pie, which is new to campus this year.
Apple Pie participated only in the first round, with an informational spiel.

The Thursday before recruitment started, we had an informational session, but, talking to other girls in my recruitment group, I left with more questions than I had come in with. One thing that was stressed to us was that we'd pick information up as that we went along, and that the whole week would feel like a blur. Reassuring.

The first two days of recruitment were held in the Student Union, and the chapters were all in different rooms.