View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevester View Post
They assured me, "just take the oath; nobody really takes it seriously."

2) I wouldn't take anything too seriously that a national organization says about its fraternity's "core values," etc.
This can be insulting.

I hope the OP finds a chapter (and a fraternity) that takes its ritual seriously with or without a religious component.

Delta Sigma Theta is not a Christian sorority and there is ongoing debate regarding whether it is a Christian-based sorority. I, and some other Sorors, believe that it is not, despite how many chapters and Sorors operate. Some of my Sorors around the world are not Christian but most are Christian. That is tied to the history of Delta and the history of Christianity in the African diaspora. That is not to be confused with Christianity being the foundation of Delta. A nonChristian will not be accepted at many collegiate and alumnae chapters especially if she is as gungho nonChristian as many Christians are about Christianity. That is something that is a case-by-case basis because it really depends. In the Kappa forum the link to the 'nalia vendor (it is a Delta licensed vendor) had a DST Ichthys pin (or ring?). I can see a lot of Sorors wearing that pin (or ring?). That does not mean that we are a Christian-based Sorority and that every woman has to be a Christian pre- and post-initiation.