View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomof2 View Post
So I have a daughter going through IU rush for the first time as a sophomore. She has a 4.0, is involved on campus, and only got asked back to 9 chapters for second round. I know being a sophomore has its drawbacks, but I'm really, really surprised she didn't get asked back to more. She had a wide range of chapters she listed in her 16. I just feel horrible for her. She feels like there is a specific "look" that she doesn't have. Okay, I'm her mom, so I'm biased, but I think she's beautiful. She felt like the conversations went really well at the chapters she listed. She was really surprised by some of the ones that cut her. And now she's nervous for next weekend. She feels like if she gets attached to a chapter, they'll "just cut me" anyway. Ugh! I don't know how to even comfort her. And I can't really say don't worry, I'm sure you'll be asked back to XYZ next round, because, who knows! She could theoretically be cut from all of them. This is going to be such a long week of classes.

Thanks for letting me vent.
I am thankfully on the other side this year. It is hard being on the other side of the phone calls. I've had 2 girls go through IU rush now, 1 in 2012, 1 last year. Both were equally stressful. Last year a little more because the youngest was dropped right before pref by her legacy house. BUT she is happy where she landed. I do know my oldest daughters "baby/little" was a sophomore and they are still very close. She is 2nd year in Med school states away and 1 of the few sisters she keeps in contact with. There's nothing you can do but listen and try to keep her positive because honestly 9 isn't a bad number it's on the higher end of average. 16 or a full card is the exception not the norm. Sending positive vibes your way!!