View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I've been reflecting a lot this summer on my college experiences and my various avenues to greek membership. I thought it may be an appropriate time to update my story.

Before I do that, since the whole premise of my story was that it has a different ending, I find it most appropriate that I preface the update with a disclaimer. My collegiate experiences as a greek (though different from NPC) were through SAI and PhiSP. Membership in those organizations provided me with friendships, rituals, leadership experience, bigs/lils, formals, service projects, etc. Pretty much anything an NPC chapter would do. Membership in these organizations should not be discounted and the time I shared with them does not dim because of my newly acquired association.

Any PNM who finds themselves in a situation similar to mine or in an NPC group they didn't love during recruitment should remember: What you put into something is what you get out of it. While re-reading my story, I noticed that I posted not feeling a close connection with my SAI sisters. By the time I graduated, I'd become a vital member of the chapter and very close with a girl from my pledge class. Two years after my initiation, I was awarded the Sword of Honor which is given to members who have demonstrated exemplary service to the chapter and university community. SAIs are some of my cherished friends to this day. I'm a very active SAI alumna and was recently interviewed and quoted in an article about alumnae development for our national magazine.

Whatever situation you find yourself in, stick it out or push through it. You'll find it or it will find you. Being rejected from an NPC sorority did not end me and it won't end you. Life will go on and you'll find whatever it is you're meant to be a part of, that I can promise you. And, when acceptance does meet your doorstep, you'll hold it's privileges dearer than anyone it came to easily.

I didn't realize how long that post got. I'll post the update....soon.

Last edited by AlwaysSAI; 07-19-2011 at 06:07 PM.